Monday, February 6, 2012

One day


Helped out at Bahas 4pm's Perkhemahan Bahas 2012 at Tanjong Katong Secondary last Saturday and I guess it's something I never regretted doing. It's simply because that one day was an eye-opening experience. Me and Julie were tagged to a group of TKSS and BVSS kids and yes they made us laughed quite a lot. Us being us, we didn't quite know how to scold them when they got mischievous because we understand the reason to their actions; they just want to have fun. And us too, apparently since our attention span to certain things are not that long heeeeh.

And I had butterflies in my tummy when they called me cikgu. It's like this euphoric feeling making me giggle so shyly heehee. The highlight of the whole one-day camp is definitely debate competition that they'll have to participate in. Julie helped out the BVSS kids so I was in charge of the TKSS kids. There was a big problem though for the TKSS team; four debators were needed but our team only had three so we had no choice but one person has to take up two roles. They were so nervous then and we had only twenty minutes to come up with points as the proposition party to the motion which sounds "Music nowadays has not much moral values".

It was just not our luck then as we lost to the TKGS team which has a line of superb budding debators. Nevertheless I was proud of the little kiddies for being brave souls. It made me feel bad to see them being defeated but it was worst when I saw how much they believe the words I said when I told them not to be frightened, be confident and have fun. When they were debating, I saw they didn't waver one bit even though the other team kept throwing strong rebuttals. Instead they had this yes-keep-bringing-it-on face (which my team always had when we first debated during the perkampungan bahas 2010 and we got misunderstood for being rude lolzzz).

All three in the TKSS team; Sufy, Raudha and Muhammad have potential to be good debators. They lost this time round because the other team was stronger. Despite the defeat, Sufy got an award for the most awesome debator (smth I already foresee right from the start since no one else in the whole entire room was as loud as him) and Muhammad got an award for the debator with the most beautiful voice (goosebumps similar to that of when Nasri debates).

It was a short meeting with the kids but I experienced a whole new thing altogether. They screamed 'don't go, don't go', all three of'em, when I said I had to go off right after the result of the debate round was announced. At that point of time, I was touched and I said to myself so this is how it feels like to become a teacher. I now know how it feels like to have people constantly depending on you for assistance. I also now understand how difficult it is to be a teacher; you may not be fully responsible for their result but nevertheless there is this guilt in you if they didn't do well.