- Day 1: Ice-breaking games, briefing for both debaters and alumni members
- Day 2: Official opening ceremony of the 4PM National Malay Debate competition, Bahas Muhibbah (debate comp between Singapore and Malaysia), Preliminary round 1 and 2
- Day 3: Preliminary round 3 and 4, announcement of teams going for quarter finals
Even though I wasn't participating as a debater, as usual I was excited for it! Simply because I absolutely loooooove going for camps. It's so fun with the games and meeting new people. Furthermore, I get to spend time with the favourite three - Julie, Mastura and Nasri. Oh and yes I also get to meet my bahas friends yay!
Day 1: Nasri couldn't come due to work. So us girlies decided to hop on the shuttle bus at woodlands together with the other debaters. Unfortunately, there was a massive jam on the expressway thus me and mas were fifteen minutes late and masya Allah ME AND MAS FELT SO BAD ABOUT IT :( imagine in a bus which could fill forty human beings, there were only seven of us. Anyhoo, when we arrived at Sembawang Camp Centre, all I had in my head was what-is-this-place-why-is-it-far-from-civilisation-and-how-exactly-is-it-going-to-accommodate-the-debate-competition. You can see high element stations, paintball court and it literally felt like we were in a kampung (well this kinda fits the camp's name, Perkampungan Bahas thus it's a plus point hehehehe)
It was good seeing all the familiar faces. After camp briefing, we had dinner - well dinnertime is kinda redundant for me because I couldn't really eat and looking at Mastura eating was enough to make me feel full heeh. And I was all hoppy likka fluffy bunny as the alumni debaters were asked to join in the ice-breaking games! Best part of a camp: GAMES LIKE DUH. I was as jumpy as those camp participants. Ended quite late for the first day as after the fun part is over, then comes the briefing for our duties the next day. On top of that, we kept an eye on team Millennia, and I had to go for script-reading for the official opening the next day (thank goodness abang hakim actually read through the script with me and he's simply hilarious that he keeps me awake hee) and when I reached our room, it was already 1.40am.
AND OH DID I TELL YOU THE ROOM WAS AIRCONDITIONED WITH FLUFFY BEDS AND PUFFY COMFORTERS AND WE HAD A TOILET IN THE ROOM TOO? I simply love it so I was rolling and squiggling with the girls after we did all we needed to do and yup we were awake till 4am talking about so many things and consulting each other about stuffs and going all giggly wiggly and we even ordered macdonalds.
Day 2: Julie set the alarm at 6am and instead of her waking up, she woke me up first thus I only had 1hr30min of sleep. Nasri on the other hand reached the campsite very early. Reported for duty. Did a run-through with Nasri and even with the countless changes on the script he did very well. But there's something I felt was ridiculous. I was standing behind the podium and yes guys only my head and a small portion of my neck can be seen. My bag was already going to explode thus I couldn't bring any wedges or heels. Yes that's the perks of being 1.5m tall. Anyhoo, at 10am everything was already in place and it was showtime!
I was so nervous you people had no idea. It's the first time I ever emceed with braces and omg I had no idea if I was going to sound okay. As soon as it started my very bestfriends, Mastura and Julie were making faces signalling that I sounded okay so thank goodness. I couldn't help adjusting my mouth and also smiling to the audience. But got through that part so yay! The debate between Singapore and Malaysia was really interesting and they're definitely really good especially Miss Ummu Hamid and Miss Sakinah Elyas heehee you girls were awesome!
After the whole ceremony and the Singapore vs Malaysia debate was over, it was soon the start of the preliminary round 1 for the kids and I can totally feel how nervous they were. I mean it's like you have four motions and you only know which side you're on for the first one and you don't know what's the next motion until you're done with one preliminary round. The teams are practically required to prepare at least 18 different arguments for the whole preliminary stage. HOW. CAN. THAT. NOT. BE. DEPRESSING.
On a lighter note, it was fun watching them throwing arguments at each other, trying so hard to make sure they successfully put their points across. I told team Millennia that I'd do anything to turn back time to be in their place. It's nostalgic; the whole entire competition I mean. It's like a time-machine to the good old days. You see the younger you in the debaters; forging new friendships, learning new things.
Before heading home, while waiting for dad to come pick me up, I stayed in the room for a while and spoke to some lovely human beings. It's amazing how in a mere few minutes, I learned so much from them. You know like they're not saying it literally (we were just talking about general stuffs apparently) but by the way they communicate with you, their body language, the sincerity in the words they speak. It kinda opened my eyes to a few things and I was really touched. It made me realise how much I'm lacking too.
Anyhoo sadly, I couldn't stay till day 3 as I had Qur'an recital class. I'd really love to stay and see how they are all doing and how the debaters are progressing. And yes to play games too and watch the performances before the closing ceremony. I hope everyone who were there had fun though! Personally I know the two days I spent at the camp is simply awesome so yay! I came home a happy girl (even though I was zombified for a day since I had insufficient sleep) mehehehehe
Before heading home, while waiting for dad to come pick me up, I stayed in the room for a while and spoke to some lovely human beings. It's amazing how in a mere few minutes, I learned so much from them. You know like they're not saying it literally (we were just talking about general stuffs apparently) but by the way they communicate with you, their body language, the sincerity in the words they speak. It kinda opened my eyes to a few things and I was really touched. It made me realise how much I'm lacking too.
Anyhoo sadly, I couldn't stay till day 3 as I had Qur'an recital class. I'd really love to stay and see how they are all doing and how the debaters are progressing. And yes to play games too and watch the performances before the closing ceremony. I hope everyone who were there had fun though! Personally I know the two days I spent at the camp is simply awesome so yay! I came home a happy girl (even though I was zombified for a day since I had insufficient sleep) mehehehehe